What is canine physical rehabilitation?
The use of physical therapy to assist recovery is now a well-accepted practice in animal medicine and surgery. The therapy targets restoration of physical function; for example, the ability to walk in a previously paralyzed patient. Physical rehabilitation involves numerous techniques including manipulation, electrotherapy (therapeutic laser and electrical stimulation) and exercise.
Physical rehabilitation can promote a more rapid recovery from neurological or orthopedic disorders and surgery,
helping to avoid complications associated with prolonged inability to walk. In otherwise healthy patients, this therapy can improve or maintain strength, stamina and body condition.
What can you expect?
After initial evaluation, a customized plan for therapy is developed to address the particular challenges of the patient. We will discuss management options with you and determine a schedule of visits.
For post-operative patients most treatments are performed on an outpatient day-care basis. The education of owners to perform simple strength and coordination exercises at home is an important role of our service.
Who can benefit from rehabilitation?
- Preoperative orthopedic surgical patients, e.g. cranial cruciate ligament (CCL) rupture, hip dysplasia
- Postoperative orthopedic surgical patients, e.g. CCL repair, femmoral head ostecomy, fracture repair
- Orthopedic medical patients, e.g. osteoarthritis, inflammatory arthropathy
- Neurological patients, e.g. intervertebral disc prolapse, degenerative myelopathy, wobbler syndrome, fibrocartilaginous embolism
- Overweight patients
- Geriatric patients
- Agility, performance and working dogs
What are the benefits of rehabilitation?
- Reduce pain
- Promote the healing process
- Restore and maintain range of joint motion and normal movement patterns
- Build muscle mass during recovery from injury or surgery
- Allow safe and controlled activity during the recovery period
- Increase cardiovascular fitness
- Combat obesity, in association with correct diet
- Improve overall quality of life
Services offered by Mile Creek Physical Rehabilitation & Sports Medicine Center
- Underwater treadmill
- Low-level laser therapy
- Electrical stimulation
- Strengthening exercises
- Balance and coordination training
- Gait training